1.13.2009

Kiwano fruit, I love you!

Seriously, how cute is this little fruit? It looks like a demented katamari. Jace found it while shopping tonight and I just had to have it. When we got home I checked my ever handy produce field guide and it told me it tasted like a cucumber crossed with a banana.
Cut it in half, it says, and so I do. I can't say I was expecting this. It's a good thing I have a serious picture taking problem. This is a food adventure worth documenting.
It's full of little seeds I'd compare to a cucumber, and it has membranes like those of a citrus fruit, but softer. The seeds are surrounded by green jell-o. Yes, green jell-o. The books tells me to use a spoon to scoop the insides out, and so I do.
This is the shell of the fruit, after I scooped the seeds and jell-o out. I scooped into a little ramekin and then added a pinch of sugar, as instructed.
The kiwano is my new favorite flavor of jell-o. It's bubbly and tart and sweet and slightly crunchy all at the same time. The colors are so vibrant and wonderful. I think I must go back to meijer and buy more.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Interesting! Never heard of or seen a kiwano fruit before.